5 tips for a healthy pregnancy
- Get started before you get pregnant. The best way to have a healthy pregnancy is to plan ahead, whether it is starting an exercise regimen or eating a more balanced diet.
- Take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid. Your normal vitamin probably doesn’t have all the vitamins you and your baby will need while your pregnant, so starting on a prenatal vitamin as soon as you start trying to conceive will ensure that your baby has all those nutrients from the first day of development. Plus, these vitamins may help with fertility.
- Rest up. Get at least eight hours of sleep each day. If you are having trouble sleeping at night, take afternoon naps to get the rest you need.
- Exercise daily. If not daily, then as many days a week as you can manage. The workouts should not be intense or exhausting – try a workout class aimed at pregnant women or just walk for 20-30 minutes a day.
- Avoid dangerous toxins. Don’t drink while you’re pregnant and if you are a smoker, this is a great time to quit. Avoid areas where others are smoking as second hand smoke is also detrimental to both mother and child.