1. Do eat lots of spinach, as it is rich in folate
2. Do eat whole grains, fruits, and vegetables daily. These foods contain fiber to aid digestion and the vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy.
3. Do drink lots of water. It will help with constipation and provide fluid as your blood volume increases and your body creates amniotic fluid for the baby.
4. Do take a prenatal vitamin.
5. Do drink milk for calcium and vitamin needs.
6. Do eat a varied diet. This is the best way to ensure that you are getting a variety of nutrients and not too much of anything that may be harmful.
7. Don’t eat unpasteurized dairy products such as soft cheeses as they may contain listeria, a bacteria that can cause illness in the baby and possibly lead to miscarriage
8. Don’t eat raw smoked fish, as they can also contain listeria
9. Don’t eat deli meats that contain listeria
10. Don’t take a Vitamin A supplement or consume more than the daily recommended allowance of Vitamin A
11. Don’t eat fish high in mercury, including shark and swordfish
12. Don’t consume too much caffeine or artificial sweeteners. Limit yourself to 300mg a day and remember that caffeine is in coffee, tea, some soft drinks, and chocolate.