What is an infant wrap anyway?
An infant wrap is a blanket used to wrap, or swaddle, the baby during the first few months and up to a year after he or she is born. The wrapping technique is referred to as swaddling and is thousands of years old. By keeping the baby’s arms and legs pressed gently against his or her own body, swaddling promotes better rest and longer periods of uninterrupted sleep. Additionally, this method of wrapping the infant helps the baby stay warm and comfortable in the crib or bassinet.
In order to facilitate this method of wrapping the baby, infant wraps have the following characteristics:
- Square or rectangular shape
- Small enough to wrap the baby without extra cumbersome fabric
- Lightweight fabric to keep the baby from overheating
- Stretchy fabric to ventilate the infant and help with swaddling
- Often made from cotton muslin
Every mother wants an infant wrap. In fact, this is a great gift to give anyone who is pregnant or has recently had a child because most moms can use several infant wraps!