Pros of cloth diapers
- Environmentally friendly
- Help potty train toddlers
- Are more comfortable than disposable
- They are very efficient
Cons of cloth diapers
- They are messy
- Can be expensive but they are cost effective
- Time consuming
Pros of disposable diapers
- Very convenient
- Are inexpensive if you go the store brand route
- Effective if your child is in child care since many centers demand disposable diapers
- Diaper rashes are less likely to appear
- Makes traveling much easier
Cons of disposable diapers
- Must be purchased on a regular basis
- Environmental concerns
- Cannot be used for other purposes while cloth diapers can be used as burp cloths, cleaning cloths, etc. after the baby outgrows them.
- Children tend to get potty trained later than those in cloth diapers.
- Some chemicals in disposable diapers could harm the children wearing them. Toxic shock, allergies, etc., are just a few of the concerns out there.
What are you currently using with your newborn or preemie? Cloth or disposable? Maybe you have tried both. Which one is easier and more economical? We would love to hear from you.
Image: Wikimedia Commons