You may find yourself overwhelmed at the thought of selecting a pediatrician that you feel you can trust. Don't worry - these doctors are highly trained in this field. Before selecting your pediatric care center, it is a good idea to visit several in your area so you canvrest assured you made the right decisions.
Here are a few things you may want to ask the staff (or even the doctor if he is available to speak):
- Do you have separate waiting rooms for children that are sick and healthy children? (This lowers your baby's chance of becoming ill at a time when his immune system is not fully developed.)
- If I have an emergency after hours, how long will it take for me to get a response if I call your answering service?
- Do you put a strong emphasis on nutrition for premature babies?
- Does your office provide referrals to specialists or early-intervention programs?
- Will the same doctor be seeing my preemie at every visit?
It is always a good idea to ask your OBGYN if they know of any good pediatricians that they may be able to recommend. Also, check with your insurance company to get a list of providers in your area that are covered under your baby's insurance.
Image c/o www.bakersfieldmom.com